DON'T MISS A NEW LISTING AGAIN!

Register Now
Already registered? Login

FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
Sign in to take advantage of all this site has to offer. Save your favorite listings and searches – also receive email updates when listings you like come on the market for free!
*Contact Information is NOT Shared*

Quick Search


view all


Any

Any

No Min.

No Max.

Keith Nichols

The Real Estaters

208-476-3134
Contact Us

Contact Us





* fields are required

New Plymouth

Welcome to New Plymouth, Idaho
New Plymouth is located in Payette County, Idaho. It was incorporated on February 15, 1896, and was the first planned community west of the Mississippi. The community was the combined project of a group of people supposedly dissatisfied with city life in Chicago, who formed what they called "The Plymouth Society of Chicago" in 1895. William E. Smythe, was a key founder and the chairman of the executive committee of the National Irrigation Congress and a famous irrigation promoter. Mr. Smythe was determined to found a colony to serve as a striking argument in favor of his project: irrigation. He spoke throughout the east, urging young and old men to go west in colonies and develop the country with the help of irrigation. He wanted the first colony to be called New Plymouth and wanted it located in southwestern Idaho in Payette Valley, which he had found apt for his purpose because of the extraordinary water supply from the nearby Payette River. The history of irrigation is still visible today, in the many original waterwheels that were built in the 1920’s. The city itself has a unique “horseshoe” shaped layout, with the open end facing North, the middle of which is home to a beautiful park and the main boulevard of the city. 
The community was at first called the New Plymouth Farm Village and was governed by a colony board of directors until it incorporated as a village in 1908, dropping the last two words in its name. New Plymouth was designated a city in 1948. 

 
 
Tuttle Blacksmith Shop
Tuttle Blacksmith and Welding 
The original blacksmith shop was reported to be the first business in New Plymouth, owned and operated by Walter Burke who charged 25 cents for the first job. It was originally located on the cities main street, Plymouth Avenue, on the Van Patten Lumber site. The Tuttle Blacksmith shop carries the name of Ray Tuttle who came with his family in 1893 from Dunshore, Pennsylvania. While in the army he got his blacksmith training and he shod many horses and mules; deciding that this was the occupation he wanted to pursue. Today the Tuttle Blacksmith shop is still in business at its second location on Maple Street, where they provide a number of services all steeped in a fine history of quality and pride in workmanship. 

 
 
Payette County Fair
Payette County Fair 
New Plymouth is home to the annual Payette County Fair, held at the Payette County Fairgrounds. There’s a little something for everyone at the fair including 4-H and FFA shows, Free Music, Raffles, Games, Contest, Demonstrations, and of course lots of great food to enjoy while you are there. The fair is a great way to bring the community and surrounding towns together for a fun time for all ages. 

The Real Estaters | 208-476-3134 | Contact Us 
226 Michigan Ave - Orofino, ID 83544
Copyright © 2018, All Rights Reserved

Real Estate Websites by iHOUSEweb iconiHOUSEweb | Admin Menu