DON'T MISS A NEW LISTING AGAIN!
FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
|Welcome to Buhl, Idaho
The history of Buhl began with the vision of men who could see great potential hidden beneath the sagebrush-covered area. The U.S. government was interested in developing the west for settlement and provided financial assistance for early settlers under the Carey Act and the Bureau of Reclamation Act in the early 1900’s.
Eager financiers arrived in the area in the early 1900’s to look at the possibilities the land promised. Frank H. Buhl, a Sharon, Pennsylvania native, came in hopes of purchasing a mining operation, but finding the mine already sold he decided to look into investing in the proposed irrigation project. Along with Mr. I. B. Perrine and Peter Kimberly, the three men agreed that the project had great promise and formed a corporation to help the project reach completion.
The development of the irrigation system that they helped build changed the Magic Valley from Desert Brown to valley Green. Walter Filer was placed in charge of Buhl city planning and hired John Hayes and Paul S. A. Bickel to layout the town and oversee initial construction of Buhl’s first major building, a hotel.
The town of Buhl was platted in 1905 but much to the dismay of some early residents, the town was laid out in the same diagonal design as the city of Twin Falls. Whereas normally a town is laid out in a north-south, east-west direction for ease of finding places, the Buhl town site was arranged to get the most benefit from the sun.
It was decided by members of the Twin Falls Land and Water Company that the town should be named after Frank H. Buhl because of his decision to donate land for the initial town site. Mr. Buhl continued to be a major supporter for the fledgling town throughout his life, with major contributions to the construction of the high school, the land it was built on, and Faris Field.
Today Buhl remains primarily an agricultural community with its roots deep in history and the pride of its residents. Most of the downtown buildings are over 50 years old; stand testament to the town’s rich past. A planned 2 million dollar “Downtown Revitalization Project” to replace streets, sidewalks, gutter systems, and street lights highlights this towns continuing look to the future while preserving its heritage.
Recreational opportunities abound in Buhl and the surrounding areas. East of Buhl is the Shoshone Falls, Herrett Center for Arts and Science and the scenic Snake River Valley. West of Buhl you will find Thousand Springs, Banbury’s Hot Springs, Salmon Falls Canyon, Miracle Hot Springs Nature Conservancy, Balanced Rock, Hageman Fossil Beds, Malad Park and Snake River Boat Tours. North of Buhl are the Clear Lakes which were named by Field & Stream as the 2nd best pay-to-fish lake in the Northwest. Riding trails are also abundant along the Snake River. Buhl is also centrally located for fantastic hunting opportunities which include duck, geese, pheasant, antelope, deer and elk.
Buhl is just south of the historic Oregon Trail and its small-town life reflects the heart of our country in the early 1900’s. The people here are friendly, the stores cater to casual shoppers and the town itself is central to a number of the recreational opportunities offered by the Magic Valley.
Often called the “Niagara of the West”, these are the most well known falls in Idaho, and the most powerful falls in the Northwest. At 212 feet, the falls are actually higher than Niagara Falls. They are best viewed during the spring, when water flows are high covering the cliff face in roaring torrents of water. Little more than a trickle of the falls might can be seen when the flows are low, as they are "controlled" by the Milner Dam and the small dam immediately above the falls which turns them "off" during the agricultural season by diverting the water to the farmlands. A prime example of man working with nature to adapt to the environment; not a site to be missed!
Bandury and Miracle Hot springs are both located just west of Buhl. Banbury Hot Springs along the Snake River offers an outdoor pool with a slide and diving board along with a picnic area and a boat ramp. Miracle Hot springs offers two outdoor swimming pools with general admission, and nineteen private soaking pools that may be reserved for an additional hourly fee. All pools have continuously flowing natural hot water. Continuously flowing fresh water is kept cool in the summer and warm in the winter to provide a perfect temperature to exercise and play. Pools are drained and cleaning nightly; there are 11 RV sites and 5 tent sites are on property. A perfect getaway close at hand!